In the western Montenegrin city of Cetinje, a shooter shot and murdered 10 people, including two children and their mother. He was then shot dead by a civilian.
After a preliminary inspection of the crime site, a state prosecutor informed the nation’s main network Vijesti TV that six other people had been hurt.
The head of the Montenegro Police, Zoran Brdjanin, said that a 34-year-old man with a hunting rifle shot two siblings, aged 8 and 11, dead at approximately 3:30 pm on Friday (local time), injuring their mother, who subsequently passed away in a hospital.
Mr Brdjanin said: “The family was staying at the house of the shooter as tenants.”
He stated that there was no information on the shooting’s motivation, and though he did not reveal the shooter’s name, he did provide his initials, VB.
The gunman first shot the kids and their mother, then he exited his home and killed another seven individuals.
An officer was hurt during a gunfight with the killer, according to Mr. Brdjanin.
State prosecutor Andrijana Nastic stated to Vijesti TV that “When we arrived at the scene, we saw nine dead bodies, including two children, and another two passed away on their way to the hospital.”
Ms Nastic said: “I can only say that the shooter was killed by a [civilian].”
Earlier, the media said that the shooter had been dead by police.
The Republic of Montenegro will observe a three-day period of mourning beginning on Friday evening, according to Prime Minister Dritan Abazovic.
In a tweet, President Milo Djukanovic stated: “I was deeply disturbed with reports about the terrible tragedy in Cetinje. I express my deepest condolences to those families affected and all those who lost their loved ones.”